View Single Post
Old June 15, 2010   #16
tweetybaby2005
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Thanks to one of our wonderful tomato seedling customers, Cheryl, we have a complete set up...she gave us the bins and some worms, and they are now living in our downstairs powder room on the floor (or on the dryer!). It is remarkable to actually hear them eating! The worms are growing rapidly (as is the amount of castings).
I have been vermicomposting since April of last year. Graduated from an 18 gallon Rubbermaid roughneck bin and now they live in the huge trash can (I think it is about 64 gallon or more) that my handy husband turned into a flow through. I kept them in the bin through winter in the garage then move them out under a shade tree in the summer. The red wigglers reproduced like crazy in the winter as well since I kept the bin in the high 60s to low 70s range.

I tried the trench thing a week ago and it was a disaster. We have clay soil and about 5.5" of rain in 2 days so a lot of them drowned. I rescued the rest and they are now back in the bin.

DH said I'm addicted to worms but I can say the same thing to him about sports so we are even.

Kuan
tweetybaby2005 is offline   Reply With Quote