View Single Post
Old August 5, 2010   #14
TimTom
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
As long as your pots are white you should not have a problem with the aggregate heating up. What type of growing medium are you using. If your plants were not getting enough water they would be wilting in the heat.
If you are using the new Tomato Tone 4-7-10 I would say the plants are not getting enough nitrogen which is needed for the growth phase. Once you start getting blossoms is the time to use a formula like Tomato tone. After fruit set you can again increase the nitrogen.
Primary problem I had with heat this year was fruit set which there was none. After the temperatures returned to the 80's my plants began setting fruit again. And this was the same for my containers as well as my raised bed at work where I have 6 tomato plants in the ground. Ami
That makes sense.....The toms in greens pots are the ones that have stopped growing...while the 2 that are in white pots have done better but still smaller than in past years for the variety ....I will have to look at what TomTone I have....If it is the new formula then not enough nitogen may be a factor as well.

Just to clarify....the varieties that are very small compared to previous years and that are also in 5gal green pots are as follows:

BLACK PRINCE
MORTGAGE LIFTER
HAW. PINEAPPLE
GREEN ZEBRA

All have produced ripe fruit at 1/4 of the size in the past.

In regards to H20 I have been trusting a meter.....which is the first year I am doing..

Thanks

Tim
TimTom is offline   Reply With Quote