View Single Post
Old August 12, 2010   #30
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

I take my Rubbermaid wormies outdoors during the day in good weather. Open the end of the lid to let more air circulate in this heat and humidity.
But I can't leave them out overnight. The coons couldn't figure out how to get the lid off to dine like they can on my composter? So instead, they took the easiest route available and just stuck their paws through the 1" holes we drilled on the sides for ventilation, and scooped out everything they could. I lost all except 2 wormies. Months later, I have the makings of a decent colony again, but it was very discouraging.
I bought my vermicomposter to help with composting kitchen scraps in winter. Kids are grown and the composters out back fill up quickly then freeze. I needed something to make use of compostables as I refuse to put them out with the garbage. We do have a compost collection program but for some reason, they kept refusing to take mine when I first set it out? Even the municipal works people couldn't figure out why? So I gave up trying to put it out and bought a worm kit instead.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote