View Single Post
Old August 17, 2010   #15
camochef
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing Cowlick's BW for 4 years now. Most years the major difference between it and Brandywine-Glicks and Brandywine-Sudduth's is in production. My Cowlicks have always ripened earlier than Glicks which is always earlier than Sudduth's.
Sudduth's always peters out first and Glicks follows shortly thereafter. Cowlicks has always produced right up to a killing frost, which can be a month or more after the other two have given up. Therefore, it produces much more ripe tomatoes.
This is the first year I'm seeing the Cowlicks being somewhat smaller than either the Glicks or the Sudduths. Glicks is producing some monster-sized tomatoes out there. I have 7 glicks spread between two gardens, only five Cowlicks and two Sudduth's. I also have a Cowlick's -R.L. and a Glicks -R.L. as well as a Brandywine-stumps, 5 Ed's Millenium, and a significant amount of Brandywine/Cherokee Purple crosses, like 3 Dora, 5 Bear Creek, 2 Gary O'Sena, 3 Liz Birt and a few of each of the others mentioned like Earl's Faux and Stump of the world, Limbaugh's Legacy and a Fantastic tomato called Barlow Jap.
I'd like to say that Cowlicks has been the best tasting as it has been some years, but this year it was the R.L. version which I only had one of that knocked Dana's Dusky Rose out of the #1 spot until Bear Creek came along and so far Bear Creek is holding the best of the year for taste.
Most years, Cowlicks surpasses BW-Sudduths but this year its BW-Glicks thats leading the BW's in taste and production. For those that like Cowlicks BW, be sure to check out Barlow Jap (my second year with this one), which has been fantastic this year here, as well as the 4 Brandywine/cherokee purple crosses.
I hope to do a full report on this season when it finishes (hopefully after 1st frost). Until then, ENJOY!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote