View Single Post
Old August 24, 2010   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
How very interesting - I'll have to read through that forum when I have some time.

I looked up Big Ben on Tania's site, and it says "Ben Quisenberry said to have received the seed from his friend, Bob Dyke of Boonesboro, Kentucky, in 1967. According to Amy Goldman, the Bob Dyke's seed was labelled Stump of the World, and Ben Quisenberry, who did not like the name, renamed it to Big Ben. "

So apparently Ben Quisenberry didn't name Stump of the World.

But ok, if he renamed "Stump of the World" to "Big Ben" - then where did the current potato-leaved Stump of the World come from?
The reason that some of us believe that Ben Q named the variety Stump of the World hinself is b'c he was a very religious man and pictures of some of his seedpacks are at the LI Seed Co, ken Ettlinger, as well as ones sent to my now departed good friend Kees Sahin who with is wife owned Sahin Seeds, in the Netherlands, that showed his writing of biblical references on those seed packs. Kees also had copies of his seed listings with biblical sayings that he had wrotten on those.

No e-mail, no internet back then. Everything was done by old fashioned writing of letters.

Stump of the World refers to the Root of Jesse and in the link I just gave that was discussed and I gave examples of bibilical references.

I don't think that he would turn to religion AFTER receiving a variety called Stump of the World since his grandson also spoke to that in the same thread and saiud that his grandfather had always been a very religious man.