View Single Post
Old July 3, 2006   #1
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Default MicroTom tragedy ...sob ...

Well, I guess in terms of the whole big world out there, it's not much of a tragedy, but after coddling these cute little guys for a couple of months and then doing a really stupid thing, I feel sooo bad.

I had some old 10+ year MicroTom seed from Gurney's -- hadn't grown it for years -- but decided to start what seeds were left and try to save new seeds from them. I got about 6 or 7 seedlings, and they all went into this planter, which was balanced on the porch railing below my deck.

They were just starting to plump up with lots of little tomatoes, this picture was taken about a week ago, and they had filled out even more. I also have various hanging plants under my deck, and when I have to reach up high with the hose wand to water them, I sometimes prop one foot on the railing so I can reach over a flower bed in front. Well, tonight like a clumsy ox, I put my foot too close to the planter and knocked it off the rail, and it landed totally upside down, breaking off the best branches of tomatos and soggy dirt all over the cement.

I saved out a branch, but don't suppose the tomatoes can ripen in water, guess I'll just have to enjoy it as a flora centerpiece or something.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote