View Single Post
Old September 27, 2010   #23
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
By all means experiment, do not let me (or anybody else) dissuade you. Grafting tomatoes in this country (USA) will probably never get serious attention for a variety of factors: it is labor intensive, and it is short term. Yes, apples and other fruit trees have been grafted for decades with great success. The main difference here is that you are grafting a desirable fruit onto a resistant rootstock which will be grown in the soil for 3-5 years before fruit production begins vs an annual plant which will be plowed under within 4 months. Yes, seed can be saved from your tomatoes, but the new plants you grow from those seeds will also have to be grafted onto disease resistant rootstock. In essence, each year, you will have to raise two crops: a fruit crop, and a root stock. Then do all of the required grafting, delay blossoming while the 'fruiting' portion of your plant adapts to it's new host root. In the long run, you would probably be better off if you just left the two species continue on, on their own and pick fruits from both.

If you are really plagued by soil-borne pathogens, I suggest that you take the organic gardening approach, which is "Feed the soil, not the plant". Unhealthy plants grow in unhealthy soil. Healthy plants grow in healthy soil. It would probably help you more to treat your soil than to reinvent the wheel.

But, please experiment! You may discover something GREAT!
If the seed is true to type I do not understand what you mean by you will have to graft any offspring of that plant, I have never read that anywhere so just kinda curious where that conclusion comes from. As far as delayed blossoming I also do not understand your logic on that point, It is true that the plant will not produce fruit as soon, but in all the research and charts I have seen the end result is higher production from grafted plants, so they tend to make up for it and then some. Also obviously any gardener I know tries to improve there soil to the best of their ability.

Personally I do not have many issues with insects or diseases in my garden (Except stink bugs) but that does not mean I am unwilling to try new things in my garden. For me it keeps it challenging, interesting and, fun. I love learning as much as gardening so to me it is completely worth it. I can start more seedlings then I could ever plant out, so the experiment factor and just the learning experience is enjoyable to me, Now if I get healthier plants with a slight production increase then personally those are just a bonus. Oh and the evolution of the wheel and the actual science behind it has come a long way as well. Not too many years ago a special way to form the Aluminum wheel was invented that allows the wheels to be lighter and stronger currently that wheel technology is only used in very hi end sports cars but eventually it will trickle down to the rest of the industry. I guess my point is put a set of stone wheels on your car and see the difference it make. As far as grafting goes if it is able to allow someone to grow tomatoes and make it a more enjoyable experience then I think it has its benefits.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote