View Single Post
Old October 25, 2010   #14
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Ok my reply is not about the alpine strawberry but i hope you timbotide have had your question answered well enough.
I would like to share a resent discovery ive made with the more modern hybrid variety's.Ive been growing a 1960's commercial type and do them in a three year rotation,the newest plantings don't get covered to stop the birds so they make off with the little fruit that those young plants do produce,about three years ago i was noticing strawberry seedlings popping up in the garden so out of curiosity i started potting them up and growing them on to the producing stage of which ive found they are no different to the original strain and grow fruit of just as good size and taste.
I'm now onto the second generation seedlings are are still providing a similar quality fruit.
Garden centers and breeders etc have been telling gardeners for years to replace there plants from them because as they will eventually degenerate and revert back due to virus and that you cant grow them from seed because they are hybrids,but so far i don't see any variation in fact look consistently better than the older type.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote