View Single Post
Old November 18, 2010   #49
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

llc,

If you seal the Plexiglass to the top of the IncuTainer section, then it will be better insulated. I would use a roofing adhesive or something that will adhere to the plastic in the walls of the container and the Plexiglass top. However, the air gap created where the 110V wire of the aquarium heater sitting on the top of the base container will still allow cold air to leak in. Perhaps a felt or foam gasket all around on the lip of the base container with a 1/4" slit for the wire would provide an adequate seal.

Last year, I had a daily "Min / Max" thermometer sitting in the midst of the tomato plants which registered virtually the same as the outside air temp min at night. Again, I only had a 50 Watt aquarium heater at that time, so perhaps very little heating transfered to the air chamber.

I am at a dilemma on heating the air chamber, as the Sensor, lamp holder, and ceramic heating element total about $65.00 per IncuTainer. This, in addition to $25.00 for a 150 Watt aquarium heater starts adding up. Maybe the heat from the 150 Watt water heater will keep the ambient air temp higher, or I could always set a string of Christmas Tree lights inside it on the cold nights. Stuff to ponder over the next few months.

Rubbermaid has stopped making the 31 gallon Roughneck container, but happily, Lowes is carrying a 31 gallon RuggedTote substitute of essentially the same dimensions.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; November 18, 2010 at 04:41 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote