View Single Post
Old November 27, 2010   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Based on the article, I'm guessing the slow plant development contributed to the BER. Is there any research that suggests paste types are more susceptible to BER, or is this just my own experience (as well as paste type plants being slower to develop)?

it's not really a matter of reserach, but just from observation but YES, most paste types are MUCH more susceptible to BER as they are to Early Blight ( A. solani) as well. No, I'm not suggesting that EB and BER are causally related, I'm just saying that both are known to afflict paste types.

I looked back at that article and while I said that some were "horrible" in terms of BER I never said anything specific about paste varieties.

Again, just by observation it's known that transport within a plant can differ greatly amongst different varieties. if for some reason your plants are under water for several days, I mean maybe not totally, but the bottom parts of the plants are, some will survive and some won't.

And that means that water absorption from the roots is probably not the same and that transport of the extra water is not the same. Plants will first wilt, then foliage turns yellow, then brown, then death of the plant. But different varieties go thru that sequence differently and not all are killed.

Finally, I don't consider Amish Paste to be a paste variety/

Far too juicy, far too many seeds. Sometimes varieties were named just on shape alone, and another one that has paste as part of the name isn't a paste tomato either and that one is Lillian's Red Kansas Paste.

And so it goes.