Thread: Seed Production
View Single Post
Old December 25, 2010   #13
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Darn, Gary, I just bought 1/8 oz of Better Boy Hybrid from Totally Tomatoes. Next time I'll buy that from you for sure.

We are going to plant a couple hundred indeterminates this year - for the first time in years. Our CRW cages are all cut in half so we are wiring them back together. They are only 4' instead of the original 5' but they'll work -I've been there before - the BB's will just pour over the top, which may be to our advantage. The object is to prevent the sunscald we got last year.

Jack

Actually, if I had my druthers, I would have chosen "Gurney Girl Hybrid" from Gurney Seed Co. That's the indet I used to plant - fabulous tomato - huge, blemish-free, crack-resistant, sweet tasting slicers! But there are two other growers in our church project - one grows our sweet corn and the other purple hull peas - and I always start a couple dozen indet tom plants for their home gardens along with the project tomatoes and peppers - and they both insist on Better Boy. They both stake and prune heavily (I've never pruned and I'm not going to start!) but, unbelievably, their fully-exposed BB's actually had less sunscald than my commercial determinates last year!

Last edited by JackE; December 26, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote