View Single Post
Old July 7, 2006   #2
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Thinking out of the box.

dcarch,
I do something very similiar with all my containers from 2 to 26 gallon but they are black opaque nursery pots or metal/blue or white plastic 1/2 - 55 gal barrels.

I cover the top with 18" wide clear food wrap film and punch several 1/4" holes in it for minimal air circulation which can be peeled back further for additional air circulation when needed.

I start by filling each container about 20% full with soil, plant the tender transplant, and then fill in the soil to about 2" from the comtainer top as the mater plant grows. The method does three things here in sw NM:
1) The clear plastic wrap acts as a mini-greenhouse in the early spring (April 1 here in sw NM) and retains the daytime heat , as our night temps in early April can get as low as 25F. The clear plastic wrap comes off completely about May 1 when all danger of frost has past.By mid May the plants have grown over the container top and are big enough to withstand some wind.

2) The container protects the young plant from the 30-40 mph killer winds we get here during April and early May. The blowing sand can cut the plant down at the base like a knife!!

3. The gradual filling in the soil encourages fibrous root growth along the entire stem for better nutrient and water uptake.

I can't bring 100 containers in the house at season's end but the maters ripen ok on cardboard flats in an unheated room till Christmas.

Much cheaper than translucent garbage buckets I'll bet!!!

Hope this low-tech, inexpensive container method helps.

Best regards.
Spudleaf Willie
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote