Thread: 2011 Garden
View Single Post
Old January 11, 2011   #6
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Looks like an ambitious garden; maybe no maters or peppers?
Jade is a good bush bean, and I've heard good things about the disease resistance of County Fair. Grew lots of the tendril-type peas, but never got a good yield from them, so we put fencing up and grow the taller ones.
Am curious about your watermelons and other melons...are they varieties that you've had success with in your climate? I have trouble being able ripen melons completely before they split (seemingly overnight) or to get sweet enough because the vines usually get diseased and die prematurely.
We've settled on butternut as our winter squash and use it for pies as well; we can save seed easily that way.
Have lots of Ambrosia corn seed. Tried lots of different varieties and this one is dependable for us in our smallish garden and tastes great. It's a hybrid so we can't save seed, but we like sweeter ones than the o.p. ones we've tried. Bought too much last year, so let me know if you'd like to try some while it's still viable. Scary about the local gmo corn. I need to find out what's growing in the field near us.
Good luck with your growing, and I hope you find room for some tomatoes and peppers. Thanks for sharing your plans.
kath

I would most definitely be interested in your corn. County Fair is the best cuke I ever grew.Jung carries it once again along with Park so it may be easier to get this year for folks who want to try it.Oh and no need to peel. As for my melons they are all new for me. As to ripening I do not know as I am looking for the right ones to grow here. Neighbor grows watermelon every year and boy do they look good.I think it is a mater of finding just the right one.You might ask some members about your melon issues and see if anyone has any ideas especially someone from your state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
Sorry about the supply issue. I am sending positive thoughts that the issues are resolved. If not eat alot of sweet corn and melons for me
Thanks Kat. I will most assuredly eat some melons and think of ya.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote