View Single Post
Old February 21, 2011   #30
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
The fruits are highly sensitive to temperature and light exposure getting darker with more sunlight and higher temps.
That is a quote from Darrel Jones

Darrel was referring to a blue tomato about two years ago or more. Fast forward.....put that description on a sweet indeterminate cherry tomato that went through the selection process, maybe not near Palmdale, but near Indio, Bakersfield, Buttonwillow, Paso Robles, Shields Avenue and I-5, and parts further north in California.

Combining the color blue with the heat tolerant red cherry tomato occurred here in the PNW. Selfing was easy enough to do, but coming up with a really HOT BLUE was another chore of sorts. Outdoors in my neck of the woods, I rarely get warm temperatures to develop sweetness in tomatoes.....had I done so with this family of segregating progenies in the cold outdoors I might have called it Cool Blues. But the Fahrenheit Blues picked up its moniker in the hot greenhouse along the Snohomish River.

Cherry tomatoes are capable of tolerating the hot days of California....and it remains to be proven that my Fahrenheit Blues will perform as I expect it to in the State.

One of my pet peeves (
a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it) is that many potential varieties never make to be released because of the perception that the variety was not ready. Not 100% stable. I think it is better to allow folks to decide on their own whether or not a new variety is ready. Who wants to wait years for a variety to come out and be disappointed that they had no say in the matter when the variety vanishes?

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote