View Single Post
Old March 12, 2011   #19
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSue54 View Post
OK - I found the right thread. Any suggestions on how to do the peat-stocking wick? As I said in another thread by error, he's decided to look for the easier softer route... And will be using a piece of rigid perforated drain (peripheral line) pipe for the supports and the wick 'tainer. My question is how to handle the stocking full of medium??? Does it need to extend up from the tube onto the water table? Or just overfill it and tie it shut to take care of the cupcake top and tube-filling all in one neatly tied nylon stocking???
The ideal I was having was to just use the sock material that is made to cover the pipe, (thick stocking or pantyhose might work) but the way it would work is that the wick media would be placed inside one of the rigid perforated drain pipe that would act as a raiser. The sock would be placed inside from the bottom of the water res and up into the growing media. the sock would be sown on both ends. You might could even use polly fil or some other type wicking material as well.

As long as water can transfer from the sock to the growing media.

Just wanted to note that I have kinda switched focus from this project to a solar drip hydroponics system so while the ideals are there for this its not a project I am actively building out.