View Single Post
Old March 24, 2011   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hi Stormy - I usually just pour a small handful of seeds (collected the previous year from my own overwintered-in-a-pot-in-the-garage-and-set-outside-early-in-the-spring-plants) into a glass or jar and half fill it with warm water. Let sit for an hour or so. Decant, letting any chaff and "floaters" run out and down the drain. I usually repeat this at least three times, the last time letting it sit overnight. You will notice that the water will be slightly brownish or discoloured, that's OK. This procedure is usually sufficient to soak off enough of the germination inhibitors. Decant for the last time and plant the wet soggy mass. Since I plant densely (similar to Craig L.) it is easy enough to do. If you prefer to plant more individual-like, it will probably take a lot more time and effort. In any event you should see germination in about 5 days, instead of the usual 2 weeks. What was the old wives tale - it had to go down to the devil 9 times before it would sprout? Hope this helps, good luck to you.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote