View Single Post
Old March 25, 2011   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post

Drallred,

I'm sorry, i didn't mean to hijack your AWS water level post. Getting back on topic, shouldn't the tube be cut so the water shuts off just before it reaches the overflow hole?

Thanks,

Irv
Actually, I am a firm believer in a First In, First Out (FIFO) approach, in that last Season, I lengthened the clear sensor tube to 14 inches, to maintain an even lower level of water in the reservoir. My goal was to keep water "churn" such that there would be reduced stagnation, salts buildup, etc. In fact, if the tomato plant's water uptake was predictable, I would run perhaps only a 1/2 inch level in the reservoir to assure a constant churn of new water in the reservoir. Does that make sense?

Unfortunately, the daily water requirements of the plant will vary greatly during its growth cycle, so trying to come up with an algorithm to predict daily water needs was impossible. In any event, with the AWS there is no absolute need to keep the reservoir topped up to the overflow hole. Anywhere from 1 inch to 3 inches is just fine. I just love my AWS!!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote