View Single Post
Old March 27, 2011   #42
mdvpc
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Markutt

My favorites were Pervaya Lyubov, Al-Khuffa and Shirley. I do tend to grow new varieties to try out in the greenhouse, and have been active in the dwarf project. I dont have any idea yet what I will grow next fall, but will include dwarf project varieties (I am with the Southern Hemisphere Group because I grow in my winter, their summer.)

Gill:

I dont light my greenhouse at all. I live in the desert Southwest, Zone 8, and we have plenty of winter sun. I keep the greenhouse no colder than about 50 degrees F, and the bigger problem is keeping the temp below 90 degrees F in the summer. I do have an electric heater that cycles on and off during the winter, and in the spring and early fall, I have an air conditioner that is set at 80 degrees F.

I have had problems with disease the past two or 3 years both in the greenhouse and outside. I am pretty sure its rust disease. But this year, I have been spraying with 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil to a quart of water and my disease problems are reduced about 90%.

I also grow cutting lettuces, kale, chard, herbs in the glasshouse, and sometimes outside also.

Aphids are a problem. I had them this winter, bought some ladybugs, put them in the greenhouse, and that was the end of the aphids. I have also used green lacewings in the greenhouse and outside also for aphids. I dont spray.