View Single Post
Old March 30, 2011   #36
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm thinking I didn't understand the concept!

I now have my WOW's up and filled. Our frost free date here in 5b NE Indiana is mid-May. My plan was to plant 9 plants in my 9 WOW's around mid-April or 4 to 5 weeks before the frost free date. The WOW packages say 6 to 8 weeks early but I thought I would try 4 to 5 weeks early first and see how that went. Here is where I might not have understood the concept, I assumed to put out the plants 4 weeks early meant to start my seeds 4 to 5 weeks early. The plants I started were transplanted to three inch pots on 2/16 which makes them around 8 weeks old on 4/3 which is close to 7 weeks early. The plants I started are doing VERY well, they are 8 different varieties with some now being 12 inches tall with some also having around a 12 inch spread.
The question is, should the plants started in WOW's be 8 weeks old and as large as mine or should the plants put out side early be much younger plants, perhaps 4 to six weeks old?
I may rush the plants out this Sunday as the weather is supposed to turn warmer. As I'm writing this it is 9pm and 34 degrees outside with the next few days with highs in the 40's. The WOW instructions say have them up a week in advance but Sunday is supposed to be in the low 50's and I could throw my victims out then. The WOW instructions also say to leave them around the plant for 30 days past the frost free date but I cannot imagine the plants being small enough to safely remove the WOW's in the middle of June.
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote