Thread: False Economy!
View Single Post
Old April 6, 2011   #29
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I have had a dozen tomato plants that were some left over from people planting a field. They did not have a transplanter and my boys worked for them setting a field of them. They are heavy stemed and trimed. But I have not seen it done. Waters them at the same time. I know are bare root. They grew and they cannery furnished the plants. Use to be fields of tomates here and then cannery quit. Gteenhouse sold good tomato plants and peppers and stuff and 5 cents each back in the 60's and he just pulled them from the growing crates and wrap newspaper around. Grew fine. When he passed on and no green house here.

I have had the Walmart Expert potting soil and it was fine. But the last I got same stuff suppose to be and it was full of rocks the size end of thumb. Was not fit to use.

I plant in anything that will hold the soil. Pans and cut them out. Being just me set plants I worked out my system to cut down on the work as much as I could and fast as I could. I had to change how I did after first year as too dry here. I have to put in ditches and irrigate, Always have had to irrigate here. You till and then re-ditch. I do not have fancy setup but gated pipe .

Boiling water works I tried it years back when only few plants but trying for few thousand plants I decided not worth the effort. Time it takes. I bought MG this year as that is what the farm store had and I did not get to city to get anything else. I hate peat pots as they dry out.

JackE do you set all those plants in field or just sell plants?
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote