View Single Post
Old April 23, 2011   #30
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Not sure where I should post this as it involves both the new releases and the dwarves I'm growing out for the project.

I was wondering if possibly some of the problems that are affecting Carolyn's seeds could be affecting seeds from the dwarf project. In other words is it possible that the seeds were processed under too hot conditions ?

Pic 1 is of my own seeds saved last fall of varieties Craig sent me last year (2010).

Pic 2 - Planted on the same day, (4/7/11) partly in the same flat (the empty spots in pic 1), are seeds sent to me by Craig for this year and the seeds I bought from Victory.

True I had more seeds of my own to plant. But I would expect to be getting more than just 1 or 2 out of 10-12 seeds. Only 1 variety is doing well.

From Craig -
Sweet Sue 2
Summer Sunrise 0
Kelly Green 0

From Victory (I know Victory didn't grow them) -
Rosella Purple 1
Tasmanian Chocolate 2
Mr Snow 1
Beryl Beauty 6

These were all planted under the same conditions as about 400 other seed cups. Not all on the same day of course. But I did plant about 50 other trade varieties that same day. No not ALL of those did great, but only a few did this badly.

I feel bad because the seeds Craig sent me were hopeful releases for next year. Kind of hard to evaluate only 2 plants. Hopefully some of those others I have will turn out well tho I think they may be a bit farther off.

All my seeds are started very similar to what I have on this page http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....enhouse06.html
I've been using variations of this for about 5 years and will often get germination in 3-5 days.

I'm disappointed and frustrated because I don't know if it's something I did or not. I was hopeful I would be able to make a good contribution this year.

Sorry,
Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dwarves-1.jpg (149.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg dwarves-2.jpg (131.4 KB, 116 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote