View Single Post
Old May 8, 2011   #12
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Ted,

That is an interesting idea. It would be easier to weave the plants through the ropes. How much space do you leave between the ropes? Do you still put two plants between each post?
Each bed is 8' long, but that includes the 4" width of the timbers on each end making each planting area 7', 4" long and that is the distance between the end posts. The center post is in the middle of the end posts. I then divide those planting areas into two sections by hanging a plastic stake in each section in the very middle. That creates four planting areas. I plant two plants of each variety about twelve inches apart in each section for a total of eight plants in each trellis. It works very well for most plants. Some plants like the Brandywines and this year, the Black Krim become a little crowded but do okay. I don't prune my plants so the trellis becomes solid with tomato plants. If you plan on saving seed, you would need to bag the blossoms before they open. The vertical distance between the ropes is about sixteen inches. You need to start the rope about sixteen inches above the ground. I started a ten foot trellis this year with the first rope about 24" above the ground. That was a mistake because the plants became heavy with tomatoes before they reached the first rope causing them to bend to the ground.

I like to grow vertically because it makes maintenance so much easier and it frees up ground space for other plants like squash and onions. I do trim the bottom branches off my tomato plants to prevent ground contact and allow for better aeration.

Just so you will know, I also grow a lot of plants in CRW cages. I think the cage method is superior to the trellis method because it requires less work to maintain and gives good results. It does however use up more ground space than the trellis method.

I like to try different things to see what works best for me. Next year, the tomato trellis may be replaced by tomato cages. I never know how I will do some things until winter arrives and I have a lot of time to plan.

Ted

Ted