View Single Post
Old May 13, 2011   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I did a bit of googling yesterday and found a mention of Plate de Haiti which referred to a very old book, there was a drawn picture of the fruit which was quite interesting, red, and ribbed rather squat in shape. The picture didn't look like any of the pictures I have seen ay HH or Amishland.

Perhaps this was what it was like originally.

It is beginning to interest me now, I guess I like to solve mysteries so next year I think I may do a grow with whatever I can find to compare.

Seeds from SSE plus Amishland if they ever get here,I won't re order, but will get from HH

I also noticed that it has an AKA Hispaniola..

Thank you again .

XX Jeannine
HIspaniola refers to one island with Haiti at one end and the Dominican Republic at the other, so Hispaniola itself can't refer to just Haiti.

Seeds for two varieties from that island are indeed Plate de Haiti and another one that Norbert also sent me which is Olirose de St.Dominique which is the Colonial way of referring to what we know as the Dominican Republic. Olirose are small pink ovals. As I noted above, many of the same varieties were grown way back on many different islands in the Caribbean.

You said above that you were going to get seeds from SSE. If you're an SSE member you can request them from the SSE person listing them b'c they aren't in the public catalog which has only about 40 tomato varieties compared the the about 4000 in the Yearbook.

Both Plate de Haiti and the Olirose one are listed in the 2011 Yearbook and an SSE member can only request seeds from the current Yearbook and only at the times the lister specifies where they give their contact info.

So I'm not too sure how you're going to get seeds from the YEarbook unless you are an SSE member. Just wondering.