View Single Post
Old May 14, 2011   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Carolyn, I am a member of sse.. have been for some years.I guess I read the drawing different to you.

I have Chayote for growing too but am not growing it this I usually grow Scotch bonnet.

XX Jeannine
I'm glad to hear that you are an SSE member . Unfortunately the only Plate de Haiti listed by SSE is the one that Weaver got from me and describes as raspberry. My seeds from Norbert in France gave red fruits. But the Olirose one in the pink section looks OK. And Olirose is also from the same island.

Somewhere I have seeds for both varieties, but they'd be very old seeds but if things don't work out for you with the SSE listings and you want to try and wake up some seeds for next season let me know in the Fall so I can try to find those seeds.

Yes, it was very confusing about the picture. At first I saw it as red, etc., and then I read the info below and it said that Plate D haiti was first pictured by Gessner and gave that link, but that just took one to a very nice article about him and his accomplishments.

And then it spoke to the picture, by Hoefnagal, but that was not IDed as the Haiti one, rather, it was the one that was referred to as being more like a modern beefsteak one. And neither Plate d Haiti nor Olirose have ever been described as anything other than small 2-3 oz fruits.

And being small fruited makes sense as well when one looks at the history of tomatoes and how they got from Mexico to other places which also included the Caribbean islands.

The thrill of the chase to find something one wants, whether it be a rare perennial, or long lost rose, or a rare carrot or whatever, is what makes the chase so much fun. At least it does for me.