View Single Post
Old May 20, 2011   #11
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Knowing Camo in PA I will have to assume that the seeds sent are what he calls Cowlicks Brandywine . He got a plant at a nursery with that name and thought it did exceptianlly well for him so named it Cowlicks.

But I don't see it as one of the recognized strains of Brandywine and probably the folks at that nursery didn't know what they had either.

So grow it, enjoy it, and don't worry about it all that much although I will mention that Cowlicks has both a PL and RL version as folks have found out with the passage of time.

Not nice of me but with all the great places to get tomato seed Reimer's would be close to the bottom of any list Imigh have although I probably wouldn't even put them on a list.

No time to edit, T-storm approaching.
Carolyn,
During the time period mentioned, I did send out many Cowlick Brandywine seeds all over the world. They were all Potato-leafed and continueed to be until I received a bunch of R.L. seeds back from Jon in Ala., who got his seed from another person in N.C. Not sure if to many people handling seeds created a mix-up or not...but all that I've grown from my own seed have always been Potato Leafed.
During that same period I also sent out Brandywine-Glick's and Brandywine-Sudduth's to many, so they could compare them to Cowlick's. Also sent plain old Brandywine and Brandywine Pink as well as different Black Brandywines. Most that I send seeds to get between 40-50 packs of seeds in a mailing and many are Brandywines or similar varieties. ( Ed's Millenium, Earl's Faux, Limbaugh's Legacy, Barlow Jap, Stump of the World, etc).
While I have grown both Regular Leafed and Potato-Leafed Red Brandywines...I sent out very few seeds to others. I don't recall ever sending any P.L. red Brandywines but cannot swear to that.
As you know, I love Brandywines and Brandywine crosses (Liz Birt, Dora, Gary O'Sena, Bear Creek) as well as DDRXBR-C which I'm growing a few plants of again this year.
Oh, The Original "Cowlick's" was labeled either "Brandywine" or "Pink Brandywine", but it out-performed the 20 other Brandywines I was growing that first year both in Taste and Production and did so up till the last day of Oct when a killing frost did it in. It was the only tomato still producing and was still loaded with large green tomatoes then.
I sent seed to a friend in SW Kansas who never had good luck growing Brandywines and they did very well for him. Since then they've been sent to every state in the USA and to many other countries and they have done well for most.
I admit that last year in the extreme heat and drought here, they didn't perform as well as they have in the past and my BW-Glick's and BW-Sudduth's actually did better for the first time since 2006.
So far this year is like 2009, much cooler and wetter than normal, so we'll see what they all do as well as a few new ones! Enjoy! and Good Luck with your gardens and the weather.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote