View Single Post
Old May 26, 2011   #144
espiegel123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Edward,

First, to calculate the number of finished 14 inch by 28 inch trellis panels you will need, while there are 8 horizontal cage rungs, I don't attach the trellis panels to all of them (not necessary). Therefore, starting from the bottom, put them on rungs #2, 3, 4; then after attaching the upper cage extension, place only one at rung #6. This will do a good enough job to train the stems up through the 8 vertical sub-channels you've just created with the netting.

In terms of the cutting size, permit me to use the phrase "good strings" to define the final cut product. Thus, to create a finished 14 inch by 28 inch rectangular panel, you need a panel of 3 good strings by 5 good strings. With the 5 foot wide trellis bulk piece, you will have 9 strings going in the long direction. This will cut perfectly into three of the 3 good string widths. So, you will make 5 cuts between string #3 and string #4. Next cut between string #6 and string #7. This will leave a third remaining 3 string section comprised of strings #7, 8, and 9.

Next, go down the long length and then cut across between strings #5 and #6 all the way over the 5 foot width. Repeat this process throughout the rest of the bulk trellis net to make three of the 14 inch by 28 inch panels per section. Make sense?

Raybo
Thanks Ray. It looks like the 5' by 30' trellis that I have is 9 strings by 51 strings. So, if my math is right it looks like that net will provide 30 panels.

Does that sound right?
espiegel123 is offline   Reply With Quote