Thread: Kohlrabi?
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2011   #14
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I think the clue for getting the Vienna types large is what Ray mentioned -- plenty of water. Something that you probably don't have there in Arizona.

Around me rain can be unpredictable at best. We always seem to have dry spells that can make growing less than ideal for anything.

Personally I like kohlrabi used like potatoes. I'll peel and cube a couple. put in a covered glass dish in the microwave til fork tender. Then you can mash them or make a cream sauce. I usually cheat and dump a can of cream of mushroom over for the sauce.

To add to your harvest here is something you can do too. I usually just pull the whole plant and then use a clipper to cut off the root. Quick and easier than this other way. If you want some more, leave it in the ground and cut it off above the bottom of the bulb.You want to leave a bit of the bulb "plate". Like with a cabbage, you will get little secondary bulbs form. Our neighbor showed us that trick many years ago but my back isn't up to doing the low cutting. Also you need a good sharp knife.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote