View Single Post
Old June 10, 2011   #27
AZRuss
Tomatovillian™

I posted something like this somewhere else. This has been the best tomato season for me since I arrived here 5 years ago. Probably has a lot to do with the weather, but I planted out later (March 1 - 15) than ever before also. I grow in Earthboxes and used 1/3 organic compost, 2/3 organic Miracle Grow and Kellogg organic fertilizer. Whatever the reason is, the combination is right for this year. I also grew fewer plants so I could manage them more effectively.

Tomato of the year: Neves Azorean Red. Flat out delicious. Moderately productive, but mouth watering good. Two years ago in my garden, it sucked. Tasteless.

In the same Earthbox as the NAR is the year’s biggest loser: Jetsetter. Productive, but every single fruit—100%--has had serious BER thus far. (NAR has had none.) Runner-up to biggest loser is Brandy Boy for high levels of BER and low production.

Rutgers (determinate): VERY productive, and very tasty if left to fully ripen on the vine, or even on the counter; sour if eaten before seriously ripe.

Nicest surprise: Sunset’s Red Horizon. Large, delicious and rather early. Low production, though.

Next task: to keep my still very healthy looking plants alive through mid September so hopefully I can enjoy them again in the fall.

PS: I beat the birds!! Bird netting is my tomato plants’ new best friend! Birds avoid it like death!
AZRuss is offline   Reply With Quote