View Single Post
Old August 11, 2011   #148
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

These are my impressions and tasting scores for the first 7 Dwarfs. I leave a little room at the high end of the scoring scale for tomatoes I haven't tasted yet. For reference, the best tomato I've ever tasted would score 8.5 on my scoring scale, the best tasting tomato in my garden this year (JD's Special C-Tex) would score an 8.0.

My scores:

Dwarf Beryl Beauty - Delicious, not quite as sweet as Green Giant but more balanced flavor. Scored this at 8.0, 7.5, and 7.5. Great producer.

Dwarf Emerald Giant - Very good, not quite as much flavor as Dwarf Beryl Beauty. Three scores of 7.0, 7.5, and 6.5

Dwarf Jade Beauty - This one needs to be ripe. When slightly green it was tart and I only scored it 6.0. When fully (over?) ripe I scored it 7.0. Heavy producer.

Dwarf Mr. Snow - Wonderful flavors, almost as sweet as Summertime Gold but more complex. Also, about 2 weeks earlier than Summertime Gold and more productive. Scored 7.5, 7.5, and 7.5

Rosella Purple - Very good flavor. Scored this 7.5, 7.0, 7.5

Summertime Gold - Nice sweet flavor. Scored 7.0, 7.5, 7.0

Tasmanian Chocolate - Again, needs to be very ripe for best flavor. Probably a notch below my best tasting black tomato this year(JD's Special C-Tex). Scored 6.5, 7.0, 7.0. Very heavy producer.

Plant height at time of first ripe fruit:

Rosella Purple - 3'
Tasmanian Chocolate - 3'6"
Dwarf Jade Beauty - 3'9"
Dwarf Mr. Snow - 4'
Summertime Gold - 4'
Dwarf Emerald Giant - 4'3"
Dwarf Beryl Beauty - 4'9"

Production by Weight:

- Tied for heaviest yield were: Dwarf Jade Beauty, Dwarf Beryl Beauty and Tasmanian Chocolate.
- Rosella Purple and Dwarf Mr Snow were the average for this group.
- Summertime Gold and Emerald Giant were the least productive, about half that of the top 3 producers (by weight).

Overall, these new dwarfs are an outstanding offering by the project group - congratulations to all involved. I'm looking forward to trying out future releases.

Here are photos of Dwarf Mr. Snow at our trial garden in Sacramento, CA. My sister did a great job with her growouts and the first picking from this "Dwarf" yielded 3 lb. 14 oz. worth of tomatoes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dwarf_mr_snow_plant.jpg (298.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg dwarf_mr_snow_1.jpg (294.8 KB, 105 views)
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote