View Single Post
Old August 12, 2011   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Sweet Success in the past and liked it a lot. It did well for me in planters but I never field grew it. But lately the seed has gotten expensive so I didn't bother with it.

This year I tried Diva due to all the raves here at TV about Diva. I got new seed from Johnneys and have been terribly disappointed in it compared to others we are growing. Slow to poor germination both in the greenhouse and direct planted. Slow growth of plants. Hardly anything on them too. We've been picking bushels of pickles the last 10 days, no Divas.

For something similar to Divas I also planted Sultan, also from Johnneys. Those are a Beit Alpha mini cuke like those found in the stores in winter and this spring all the greenhouse tomato grower also had them. Those plants are doing great and producing OK. Not a lot yet, but compared to nothing on the Divas or my regular cukes, they are doing better.

Much of my plants of lots of stuff that like hot weather are about 2 weeks late due to the cold May and June we had here. July was HOT so things are catching up, but still a bit late. But when you have 5 varieties of similar things, and 1 is noticeably behind the others, that one is noticed.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote