View Single Post
Old September 3, 2011   #5
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
GG, you grew the varieties outdoors. What kinds of disease pressure were they subjected to, and how did each variety cope?
Campari showed the highest disease incidence by far. Had some minor disease problems - some late blight, but Mountain Magic, Adoration, and Annelise seemed pretty resistant to whatever you could throw at them, but because of the high cost of the seeds, I made sure I was covered using Quadris fungicide. Campari showed the least resistance to cracking, sunscald, and green shoulder from high fruit temperatures. In the spring, because I had problems the prior year, I fumigated my soil with Vapam. My worst nemesis this year was mosaic virus disease from aphids from a nearby cherry orchard - and this year being the year it was, I just couldn't seem to get rid of the aphids - used Admire (neonicotinoid) , then Beleaf, and finally Matador (pyrethroid) which cleaned them up. But the virus didn't seem to touch any of my cocktail varieties - it only got my pink grape tomatoes.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote