View Single Post
Old September 14, 2011   #26
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
ZWD, have you tried peroxide? If you find you are prone to damping off (fungus) you can mix a capful of regular old hydrogen peroxide with a quart of water for watering them. I find that I start with moist soil, and cover them....water sparingly. If there is dryness I water, otherwise, I keep them more on the dry side than damp side. That is the only way I can avoid it. Then as SOON as I see anything happening I take off the saran wrap or plastic cover and thats it. Also, if you use saran wrap, make sure it isn't covered tightly, just lightly cover it so air can get through. Once seedlings emerge, keep good air circulation. Mine for the winter project were on my screened in porch with the ceiling fan going so they look good so far. I took some photos but cannot for the life of me find the cord to connect to the computer, so I will share them once I do . My seedling mix was from Fox Farms and I added vermiculite to the mix to make it really light and airy, with a little bit of peat for moisture retention. I don't measure, just mix and see how it looks. (the way I cook!)... I keep watering very light, and make sure I don't wet the seedlings. Over the years this method has worked well for me, and trust me, it's only because I killed SO MANY in the past!

Mike those shelves sound good, but what do you do if the plants need to grow higher? Can you remove a shelf if needed?

Yes the shelves are adjustable. Of course as with most things these days, it was probably designed by some clever Chinese which requires three arms and hands and a couple extra legs. After a few choice 4 letter words you can assemble and adjust these marvels of oriental engineering. I have about 18" between the top three shelves which gives me plenty of room for seedlings, by the time they get 12" or more I move them away. However I'll have to come up with something else if I try to grow tomatoes through the winter. I don't have a heated greenhouse, and my Frau frowns on making a mess in the house, so I'm watching the posts of others to see how they are doing.
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote