View Single Post
Old September 17, 2011   #32
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of LEDs, I got my disco array setup yesterday. I took a half day from work and solicited the help of my father to setup the incredibly difficult to assemble rack that I purchased on Amazon (difficult because of the caster assembly, not rack itself). Anyway, we got the shelving setup with wheels, added one rack at the very bottom and one a the very top, attached my led to the top rack and hung it down the center-line, wrapped 2m mylar sheeting around two of the shelving sides and carefully rolled it from my living-room to the kitchen where I set it next to an East facing window (open side).

You can see from my first pic what my kitchen looks like now, and suffice it to say my lovely wife is more than nonplussed with the addition. The LED light is quite loud actually, as it has 4 (what look like 120mm fans) running to cool the 8 heat-sinked LED modules. So far, I haven't noticed any increased heat in the area, but it was cooler yesterday (had the window open there) and those fans are LOUD.

The other pics show my broccoli and cauliflower seedlings, which I sprouted using that mass seeding (dense planting) method that Craig (nctomatoman) described so well. It worked quite nicely for these. My problem is that they got a bit to necky stretching for light when I only had a single T12 fluorescent shedding light on the. Also, they want to be in the 60-65F range, and I've had them stuck in my often hot kitchen in a wide range of 65-85F. I'm hoping the new light will help with their stretching. I'll be planting these as soon as the whether cools down here and when I get the heart to pull my tomato vines out (most of which are still producing lesser sires).

That last pic is just something for fun that provides what I tell myself is the explanation for spending a fortune on an indoor planting setup. Having slices of fresh, ripe heirloom for my homemade pizza makes all the difference. Having something to slice in the late, cold Winter would be amazing. We'll see if I get far enough to repudiate my likely flawed $$$-->pleasure logic.

--naysen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-16_17-15-23_779.jpg (61.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-16_17-15-43_723.jpg (91.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-16_17-59-04_924.jpg (99.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-16_17-59-29_287.jpg (75.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-10_22-41-46_73.jpg (155.9 KB, 73 views)
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote