View Single Post
Old September 23, 2011   #19
salix
Tomatovillian™

OK, dug some of my potatoes yesterday. Was not very impressed with La Pan, quite small and all looked very similar. Will save from the three hills which were the most productive and had the largest tubers. Designer Roses were simply beautiful, several different shades of pink and rose. Most plants were fairly productive and had reasonable sized tubers. Will save and plant tubers from each of the plants. Of 14 other of Tom's varieties - WOW! Really need to learn how to post pictures! Will limit my comments here to just a few. 'Pointe aux Chenes River' - glowing (almost fluorescent) dark violet tubers. 'Au Sable River' - medium sized roundish tubers of the most unusual appearance, pink with curving cream coloured patches, like an orca or pinto horse. 'Cosighin' - good size and production, pale yellow/cream with violet eyes. 'Pink Fir Apple' - hugely productive and all tubers firmly attached to base of plant, very easy to harvest! 'Toro Dude' - not very productive (with tubers), fairly large, very dark purple and an absolutely massive production of berries. Also got berries from Designer Roses, Saturna and La Pan. Also have a 2 pound bag of "TPS berries of unknown origin". Don't really know what to do with them as I do not have the space (or, it must be confessed, the stamina) to grow out even a small percentage of them.

Also noted that there were quite a few volunteers from last year's fallen berries.

Last edited by salix; September 26, 2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: correction
salix is offline   Reply With Quote