View Single Post
Old November 29, 2011   #50
JackE
Tomatovillian™

You would be surprised at how many people grow produce for farmers markets that grow organically.

Not at all surprised, Worth. Like Moon said, in upscale suburban markets they won't buy anything that's not organic - that's why they go to a farmers market and pay three prices for a tomato. It's also a rapidly growing market - now even the box stores are getting on the organic bandwagon.

But with most market growers it's a business decision, not a matter of ideology. I know a guy who had 5 acres in Montgomery County (for non Texans - an affluent suburb north of Houston.) He literally made a fortune growing organic vegetables there. He has since succumbed to the developers and sold the land, but the last time I visited him there were a bunch of Mercedes' and BMW's parked in front of his stand and a line of young soccer moms in jogging clothes and well-tanned, well-healed matronly ladies in white tennis togs and golfing garb forking over BIG bucks for his organic Brandywine tomatoes! And I mean BIG bucks - five bucks apiece! That was a few years ago - the market is even more lucrative now.

I assure you, Worth, that if I were going to grow for profit, I would grow organically (I'd have to move to better soil, though) and sell my stuff in Houston.

So it's all about business on these commercial forums - they don't proselytize. Why create competition?

Jack

PS - Respect easily becomes love and love becomes worship. Admittedlly, modern nature worshippers don't build a bonfire and dance around it naked, or pile stones in a circle, but much of what I see and read is certainly tantamount to worship, if not worship in the traditional sense.

Last edited by JackE; November 29, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote