View Single Post
Old December 2, 2011   #210
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi daniel - yes, what I sent was a close relative. I've done some selection in that line for variation in color, but J&L Select has the original trait. We just don't know yet how strongly it will be expressed under different conditions, so it would be great if you had room for a plant or two.
This is an exciting time to be working in breeding because of all the new genetic material which has become available. Tom will have new crosses I'd expect - we should find out soon.
I'll be growing Myer's line this year to compare with our crosses and selections. He will certainly have done further work to improve it. We are still early in the number of generations, so all sorts of unexpected things may happen.
It is a help to have local restaurants which give folks some room to experiment. Our farm supplies a couple of places in Santa Fe like that. I need to decide how much to plant as well. There is another three acre parcel with water just up the road I could use, but that would be a whole different level from what Jan and I are doing now.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote