View Single Post
Old December 6, 2011   #52
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Same here for overr 30 years. I first found out about Rob when I was working in Denver and had this itch to deal with folks back where I'd come from, so ordered seeds from Johnny's, ordered balsm wreaths and candles from the Vermont Country Store, well, you get the picture.

I can't remember how I first got to know Rob, but it was about the same time, I think, that Craig L did. Craig sent Ithink Cherokee Purple to Rob, or maybe it was Brandywine ( Sudduth) or maybe both.I do rememeber that Rob asked if I had any Aunt Ruby's German Green Seeds and I said I had a couple thousand but I knew they were crossed. He said no matter b'c they would rogue out the wrong ones. For many years I sent tomato seeds for trial and some that I sent were then offered. And then I got to know Janika as well.

I also met several of the Johnny's folks when I was at the NE Vegetable Conference when it was at Sturbridge Village.

Seeds have always been of excellent quality and high germination and I'm so very glad that Rob's company has grown and fouished over the years. I think the last item I sent was Joe's Long, a great hot pepper which is still listed, which I got from Joe Sesito who hung around the greenhouses of my commercial friend Charlie when I was there doing my transplanting, etc.

Joe's Round I sent to Jeff McCormack when he owned Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and I was just sent a copy of the SESE catalog b'c I had pointed out in the Spring that they'd changed the name of the variety, and now it's back to what it should be. I think the SSE catalog/website now lists both.

The only blip I can remember is when the security of their data base was hacked and plastic card numbers compromised, but as I recall that was solved rather quickly and I have no idea what the consequences were. Does anyone else remember that incident?
Yes, I remember they sent me a letter.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote