View Single Post
Old December 10, 2011   #29
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
I sell in 3 1/2 inch plastic pots. I started at $5 ea., but after listening to
crap at the swap meet, I lowered to $3.00 for the balance of the season
and will hold that price this spring and hope to make more based on volume.
Last year, I only had 6 varieties. This year, I will have in excess of 20 and,
hopefully, will have happy repeat customers.

What are some of your reports from repeat customers. Did they blow it or
were they successful and happy with heirlooms? I have had both types
from among my "give away" to friends plants. Some just say "they died"
and others raved about heirlooms.
In 2011 (my first year at this business), I made far more selling seedlings than I did selling produce. All seedling production and sells were from my basement/garage/backyard/driveway.

Most of my seedlings were also in 3-1/2" square pots and went for $3. I had only the occasional complaint about my prices.

About 10% were in 6" ("gallon") pots for $5 and those sold quite well - but they sure took up a lot of precious space!

I raised about 215 varieties of tomato seedlings (and about 100 total varieties of other types) - mostly heirlooms that none of my customers had ever heard of. I had lots of enjoyable (and time-consuming...) conversations during seedling sales. Many (but certainly not all) were quite excited to try something new.

Feedback was nearly all positive, some of it raving - makes me want to do it again!

The biggest mistake I made was not having pictures and information posted with each variety. Nobody wanted to read from the 20-page brochure I prepared. I did a LOT of explaining/educating/promoting.

So I appreciate the tips about laminating and minimal printed verbiage.
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote