View Single Post
Old December 11, 2011   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Taryn,

I might have confused you with the reference to the 14 gallon Totes. Each plant does not end up with 7 gallons due to the 3 gallon water reservoir underneath. For the 14 gallon tote version, each plant would get approx .65 cubic feet of Grow Media to play in. This should be plenty of Media for most of the smaller tomato plants you would want for the Winter anyway.

However, for some of the larger Dwarf Project plants, I think the 18 gallon Tote version which gives each of the 2 plants about 1 cubic foot of Media would be desirable. I'll get a better understanding when I clean out the root-balls in the Spring to see just how far down the roots extended.

Here is the link to the updated 14 / 18 gallon InnTainer Construction Guide:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

Regarding the Emerald Green color of the leaves, I too am very surprised how dark and robust they are. I believe it may be due to a combination of the Roots Excelurator supplement, adding Calcium Nitrate ("the Snack") into the Grow Media, as well as the Hortilux lighting system. In any event, I see changes in growth, now on a daily basis.

The only descriptions I have for Mano and Victorian Dwarf were listed in my initial Post. You can do a search for these seeds, as I recall buying the Victorian Dwarf from a fellow TomatoVille member (The Sample Seed Shop) and the Mano came from Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes.

I used the aluminum foil trick last Winter, as my thought was to reflect some of the daily sunlight, as well as the evening HPS Lumens back up to the undersides of the leaves. I believe this is both strengthening the plant, as well as confusing any insects which cling to the bottom of the leaves.

The Peppers I am growing are called Parks Rainbow, which is a mix of 6 different color sweet Bell Peppers. Kind of a "Forrest Gump" thing - as I won't know what color each one is until they mature. "Life is like a box of chocolates..."

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote