View Single Post
Old December 13, 2011   #36
psa
Tomatovillian™

I grow in 1801 deeps, which works out to $.036 per pot (prices are up this year). I add colored plant tags (in the color the tomato ripens to) for $.025 each with a white polyester label ($.005 each in quantity) laser printed with variety, description, and my business name/url (<$.0001 in laser toner).

7 cents per pot and label, 20 cents per pot promix (wish I could find a cheaper/more direct source--I use 16 large bales every spring), seed from <1 cent to 10 cents. Germination media, heating and lighting, and the rest of the overhead varies wildly each year as I try different things.

Wire racks: I can put four 1020 trays crosswise on each 18" wide shelf on the costco racks. A full rack on wheels will hold one complete wave of tomato plants (I'm up to four germination waves each year to keep quality plants available throughout the planting season). I use these to store the plants under cover on extra cold nights while I'm hardening them off. A similar rack with lights hanging under each shelf is used for starting seeds.

I don't sell for profit. I grow out a couple hundred plants myself, and half of the remaining is donated to community gardens, demonstration gardens, non profit fundraisers, etc. The rest I sell for just enough to break even on the whole venture, word of mouth. I don't have the time for dedicated retail (the amount I would make from cutting into my full time job would not be worth the amount I could make at a farmers market, etc.) Having filled out my own capacity to produce these plants (10,000 starts last year, including the non-tomatoes), I'm kind of at the edge, trying to decide whether to take the plunge into ramping up further, with its attendant requirements of commercial property and payroll.

The market here will bear ~$2/plant, and $3 in specialty venues. Several of the large local nurseries sell a broad mix of hybrid and heirloom varieties at $2/3.5" pot, so it's hard to compete with that. Big box is still at $3, for now. I grow hundreds of varieties, including many that are in demand and hard to get elsewhere, but that's an easily overcome barrier for the nurseries that source from multiple growers.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote