View Single Post
Old December 26, 2011   #13
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

I have known no difference for tomatoes, but if you want to, give it a try.

My largest tomatoes and best production come from deep root systems and well supported, upright plants. I will intentionally allow plants to become a bit leggy, up to about 18" tall, when I am starting them in the spring. I plant these quite deep, leaving only the top 4" or so exposed. I have known people who do the same thing, but plant the tomato horizontally about 4" under the ground, with only the tip exposed. I suppose that the increased microbiotic activity in the immediate subsoil would be better for the plant than the deeper soils and that this would be followed by a benefit of continued rootings in the shallower soils as well.

My deeper plantings are meant to make the plants as immune as they can be to wild temperature and water fluctuations, because many of them cannot get the attention that my garden here at the house gets, but I would still try to get the plant off the ground and supported, even if you meant to do a long section of it buried, simply due to slug and rot issues.

Just me.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote