View Single Post
Old December 26, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete092775 View Post
carolyn that is why i ask why trellis a vine when his was on the ground and if you read alot of gardening books they all say that caging and staking will reduce the yield.
PEte, I don't read that many gardening books, but I was raised on a farm where we had acres and acres of tomatoes, I have grown about 3,000 varieties to date and while most of the time I grow mine by sprawling, I have grown some by caging and sometimes I've grown the same variety in the same season both by sprawling and caging. Never by staking b/c the distance required for caging is about the same as for staking and no way am I going to prune staked tomatoes to two leader stems.

All to say that I've not seen reduced yield when growing the same variety in the same season by both sprawling and caging. And why would I even do that? Because I grew plants at a couple of different places and one was better for sprawling and the other for caging and at the latter place the owner already had made lots of cages, although when I used to live in Denver I made my own and still have the scars from doing so.