View Single Post
Old January 4, 2012   #21
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

With all the ways that chloramine/chlorine can be removed. make tea, put a slice of fruit in the water etc. it's doubtful that it has any effect below the surface, especially with slow watering. If the effect is very shallow, it may not exceed the depth that the UV from the sun would sterilize anyway.
I'd like to figure out an economical way to deal with water hardness, as that's not dealt with by any filters, and at my sister's house, a new brass Y adapter on the hose bib for under a season had visible scale, enough to make it so I had to work the valves with pliers to get them working. If it's building up like that everywhere, the pipes may be closed off in a few years, aside from the buildup in houseplant pots, and whatever detriment there is to seedlings. I've not seen any reports that showed extremely high levels, but with a mix of state water project water and well water in what's piped, it could probably vary from day to day. Come to think of it, build up in pipes could explain what seems to me like low flow at most locations in and out of the house, while a tap that comes off the sprinkler pipes outside seems to have higher flow. Of course my reference is 80+psi and high flow at my home, tend to have to replace drip pressure regulators yearly there.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote