View Single Post
Old August 14, 2006   #10
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm' very interesting reading- from top to bottom of the post, its nice to see differing points of view on the subject of seed saving etc.

The only thing I would like to add to all this is- be very carefull where you point the seed jet when squeezing out tomato seeds from a partialy cut tomato, especialy with cherry tomatoes.

Many is the time that I have squeezed and not aimed correctly, and the jet of seeds shot out and plastered my trousers leg, the sides of the kitchen sink, arms and hands etc, a steady squeeze to start them off is best.

Squeezing them out is probably the quickest method of removing the seeds, but these days I cut the tomato into quarters and then with a sharp knife cut round each quarter segment about one third depth under the skin, which then peels back and reveals all the seeds, and then with a few swift movements of the knife point- winkle them out into a container.

It would be very interesting if someone could provide a detailed report on how they do it commercialy from these big tomato seed producers, who provide seed to the horticultural and agricultural trade in Spain, Italy, USA, Holland etc, just as a matter of interest and see how they compare-with our smaller production methods, and see if we can adapt some of them for our own use a bit.

But try as I might -and lots of googling etc, I cant seem to discover much info on the net about it,- perhaps I am using the wrong key words and search words to find the info.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote