View Single Post
Old January 26, 2012   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Many folks have tried to make selections from saved F2 seed and see if they could get it out to an OP state and as far as Iknow, no ones has. You might want to do a search here but I do remember several of those threads being at Garden web.

Some even got some red selections, which to me is a bit curious, but that's OK b'c I'm one who hasn't been too happy with Burpee since they first introduced what they called Red Brandywine HYbrid, I bought both seeds and plants and compared them with my seeds of RB which were from a fellow SSE member in the early 90's and saw no difference.

Then for a couple of years nothing changed and then they renamed it from Red Brandywine Hybrid to, well, I give up b'c I can't find it now at the Burpee site, but it was an F1 of RB but the name changed to the county where Burpee does a bit of trials.

However, I did see that they called Pink Brandywine their exclusive and also had a PL Red Brandywine which they say is a descendent of RB itself. It is not. They probably got the seeds from Seeds by Design in CA which was the source of the two wrong RB's to Linda at TGS. And she keeps listing them b'c she says many of her costomers like them.

Aha, another try at Google and I found it, they renamed it Buck's County Red F1 and at first never said it was the same as Red Brandywine F1:

http://www.tomatodirt.com/bucks-coun...-favorite.html