View Single Post
Old February 19, 2012   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Lettuce is very easy to start. I have had good luck with lettuce seed for about 3 years before I have to order more. I keep my lettuce seed in a refrigerator inside a Tupperware container with a little rice to soak up any moisture that might get trapped inside. I always set the container out and let it get to the outside temperature before opening to stop any moisture from condensing inside. I have had the best luck with seed for lettuce from http://www.cooksgarden.com/vegetables/lettuce/

I use egg cartons and fill each cell with damp seed starting mix then put anywhere from 3 to 6 seed in each cell and wet well with a spray bottle then cover it lightly with a little plastic wrap. Lettuce will sprout much better if it is not covered after sowing because light seems to help it sprout faster. Once I get a fair amount sprouted I remove the plastic wrap. As soon as the lettuce gets about 3/4 of an inch tall I move it outside so it can get sunlight and fertilize it with liquid fertilizer when it gets about an inch tall. I move it back inside if very heavy rain or very cold weather is expected. When it gets about 3 inches tall just pull out each plug and separate and plant.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote