Thread: Tomato Profits
View Single Post
Old February 20, 2012   #27
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscgolf View Post
whatever is the "hottest" at the moment will always be in demand so the trinidad scorpion moruga blend will be this year's darling although rumor has it it won't stay on the perch for long. i had very good luck selling both trinidad scorpions and bhut jolokias through various forums online last fall. none of them sell particularly well at farmer's markets or to restaurants beyond the novelty factor- you definitely need the broader audience you can reach online.

seed vendors:
oldbarnnursery.com is a reputable seller with reasonable prices. although i have not ordered from them personally i have heard their service is excellent. they are currently running a deal where you can purchase the moruga seed and they throw in "brain strain" seed for free. (there is currently debate over whether the 2 are one and the same so they want people to be able to grow them out and see for themselves)

pepperlover.com has a huge selection of the trinidad peppers and good prices and a reputation for excellent service. she also tends to toss in some freebies when you order.

refiningfirechiles.com is the guy behind the testing of the morugas- he has a very good selection and excellent service but his prices are higher than most.

i would also gladly send you out some seed of varieties i have if you like- no morugas here (put them all in the dirt) but plenty of scorpions, seven pots, bhuts, and nagas... pm me your address if you want.
I'll second pepperlover.com, she's active on the pepper forums and has a great selection and good service.

One seller on ebay who is actually quite good is Dave Stehnike of Dave's Dragon Dust. He sells under the name asiasgarden. One thing I have noticed about the things I've gotten from Dave is he seems to be selecting for productivity. Lots of these pepper varieties are not terribly stable or uniform, some of the stuff I've gotten from well known hobby growers may be closer to the original landrace varieties but the 7-pots I got from him last year blew away most of the others I've grown in terms of pepper size and and number of peppers set per plant.

I guess you can select like that when you measure your pepper patch in acres.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; February 20, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added clarification.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote