View Single Post
Old February 23, 2012   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I think you might want to go with slightly bigger for some of the larger, indeterminate varieties. Otherwise, soil might get depleted and dry out too quickly, as well as not be heavy enough to hold them in a wind. Letting them sprawl on the ground might work, but some staking might be better, especially if you're dealing with critters snacking - and that includes deer.

I have been known to have up to 160 pots/containers going at one time. Although I have grown tomatoes in 5 gallon pots, I try to reserve those ones for the determinate or the ones that are shorter ones/suitable for containers. I prefer the 7 to 10 gallon size, but also have some 20 to 50 gallon size that I'll put multiple plants in. The larger ones will end up holding the moisture longer....so unless you want to set up a self-watering system or an irrigation system, you're going to be out there hand watering or using a hose...allot....with those 5 gallon pots.

Just MHO. Hope that helps. But sounds like you've thought through the costs. Are you planning on marketing the produce? That seems like allot of plants/pots.

Zana

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote