View Single Post
Old March 15, 2012   #37
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Naysen,

The plants look dry to me but it could be other things environmental - doesn't look like a disease to me. What method/system are you using to water? It might just be the lighting/shadow but the soil in photo 9 looks like it is damp around the base of the plant but dry around the perimeter of the pot. I always water all of my seeding from the top with a wand to make sure ALL of the soil is thoroughly saturated across the complete surface of the pot and saturates the complete mix. I water until water drains out the bottom of the pot. A potting mix with proper drainage will drain almost immediately even if there is 1/2" of standing water across the total surface of the pot. After you water don't water again until the soil is dry @ about 1/2 to 1 inch below the surface (by touch). In other words, "giving your plants less water" should mean "extend your time between waterings, but completely saturate the soil at each watering" and NOT "water daily with less water than before". Not sure if this pertains to your watering method...

I would like to see what the root-ball(s) looks like. You can hold the pot upside down in your left hand with the stem between your middle fingers (to hold the soil in the pot) and then tap the pot off the root-ball (with a sharp rap from clippers while gently pulling on the stem) and examine the roots. This is something you should do often, and especially if you are having any problems that appear environmental.

Best of luck
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote