Old April 1, 2012   #79
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
People complain about growing "$5 tomatoes". Now with the price of gas,
we are looking at "$5 trout" (or a lot more; depends on how far you have
to go to find fish).
My Husband and I always had to chuckle when hunters would say "I hunt because I need the meat"....License, food for 2 weeks, horse, horse feed (and having horse freshly shod), lantern fuel, bullets, 2 or 3 new "something-or-others" to replace torn, aging, broken & lost associated gear, fuel for the truck that will be pulling the horse trailer up the Big Horns on a 10% (+) grade just a guzzlin' the fuel on the way up and lets not forget THE BEER...and the costs of having the meat cut, wrapped and frozen.

All of this adds up to some of the most expensive meat on the planet and beats the price per pound of Kobe Beef easily.

My Husband used to hunt but he says the older he got, the less he liked to kill things. He says he enjoys watching them more these days but he does not have any problem with those who still hunt.

And I think as we grow older our priorities change and we enjoy life more. We have time to "stop and smell the tomato blossoms" that we did not have when we had a family and responsibilities and a full time job. Life is GRAND and I wish I could tack another 20 years in there somewhere...